How To Banish Odours From Your Home This Summer
There are many things to love about summer; sunshine, sunbathing, smiles – the list goes on! But all that heat and humidity can often cause stinky household odours to permeate your space. Luckily, we are here to run through the simple ways you can banish nasty odours from your humble abode this sizzling summer.
How to clean smelly drains?
Blocked drains in summer time do not mix well with heat. Small drains can often become a nightmarish trap for grease build-up and food residue, which in turn produces bacteria and attracts pests like fruit flies. A similar build-up can occur in the bathroom due to soap scum, toothpaste residue, and hair clogs.
If those smelly drains are disturbing your BBQ’s and garden parties - then we have the solution for you! As recommended by Lynsey Queen of Clean, all you need to fix a stinky drain is a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda! Simply place a big spoonful of bicarbonate of soda along with some tea tree oil inside your kitchen, shower, bathroom, or outdoor drains. Let the bicarbonate of soda do its magic for 15 minutes then rinse thoroughly for sparkling clean drains.
Dri Pak Bicarbonate of Soda is the best non-toxic, natural and affordable deodoriser that will have those drains smelling fresh and clean in no time! You can even recycle an old mascara brush or grab a small sink cleaning brush that will slip into narrow gaps and dislodge that stubborn gunk.
Top tip: we recommend running hot water down the drain for about a minute to help soften any build-up that is clogging the drainpipe.
How to get rid of mildew in summer?
Whilst heat and humidity make the perfect beach days, they also make the perfect conditions for mould and mildew to reign supreme inside your home. These unwelcome fungi have an unpleasant appearance and putrid smell that is worthy of a nose-scrunch. Follow these simple tips to conquer the mildew battle in summer time:
- Dehumidifiers and air conditioners will become your best ally in the fight against summer’s damp odours. Dehumidifiers will remove the moisture and dry out the air in your home. Many also act as an air freshener so you can enjoy a refreshing fragrance as well! To tackle mould in small spaces like wardrobes, cupboards and caravans, then these mini-dehumidifiers are the perfect discreet solution.
- Try to keep your household clean and clutter-free. Crowded spaces will not allow the air to move around in your home, which allows the moisture in the air to remain stagnant. This creates the perfect conditions for mold and mildew growth. To combat this, clear your space and crack open a window so the moisture in your home can circulate freely in the air. You can also install fans to increase air circulation.
How to stop your garbage bin stinking up a storm
The summer rays can really cook up a stinking storm inside your garbage bin. The stench of any food residues, wrappers and more is made much worse in the sweltering heat. Luckily, there are simple ways to stop your summer BBQ being a stinker.
- It’s a task no one will enjoy, but when you’re feeling brave it's best to begin by scrubbing out your garbage can. This will eradicate any grime build-up that emits nasty smells and attracts creepy crawly pests. Start with one good thorough clean, and then you only have to give it a wipe down every time you empty. This way, your bin will stay as fresh as possible so you don’t have to face a waft of revolting aromas every time you venture near it.
- Sprinkle baking soda at the bottom of the clean can to control odours and absorb any nasties between your clean ups.
- Pop in a dryer sheet underneath every new bin bag you put in.
- You can even use the unlikely power of cat litter to soak up garbage odours. Once again, just place a small amount at the bottom of your trash can.
- Bin cleaners and deodorisers will become your new best friend. This Neutradol Bin Odour Destroyer releases a citrus fresh fragrance that will allow your bin to smell like a cocktail of zesty fruits rather than a funky mess.
How To Add Christmas Gonks To Yo...
How To Add Christmas Gonks To Your Festive Decorations There’s a holly jolly new Christmas décor trend that is taking the festive season by snow s...Read More
A Guide to Spooktacular Hallowee...
A Guide to Spooktacular Halloween Party Decorations The witching hour is upon us! Are you ready to invite in the witches, zombies, Draculas and bl...Read More
How To Keep Your Dog Cool During...
The heat of summer is not always great news for man’s best friend. The balmy temperatures of July and August can certainly be bad news if you’re c...Read More